Frequently Asked Questions: Medications to Avoid Prior to Surgery
Please note: failure to discontinue these meds may result in the cancellation of your surgery
- YOU MAY TAKE TYLENOL AS NEEDED FOR PAIN OR HEADACHES
- Immunosuppressant medications such as Methotrexate/MTX, Enbrel, Arava, Humira, Imuran,etc. should be STOPPED 2 weeks prior to your surgery.
- If you take Prednisone, please continue it.
- STOP ALL herbal supplements such as : Garlic, Ginkgo, Ephedra, Fish Oil & St.John’s Wort, etc.
- Discontinue Tamoxifen or Raloxifene (Evista) 1(one) week prior to surgery
- Please inform us if you are on Coumadin, Lovenox or any other blood thinner
- Please inform us if you take Plavix
All patients scheduled for surgery should stop taking all products containing aspirin and Vitamin E for 1 week prior to surgery. These cause bleeding & clotting problems.